Pages

Sunday, December 5, 2010

simple magnet board

FIRST POST!! YIPPEE!!
I have seen magnet boards around the blog world a lot,
but it doesn't make them any less cuter!
I was dying to have a larger sized one in my kitchen where I have a rectangle painted red.
Sooo to begin my project I hit the D.I. (thrift store) for an old wood frame.
I came across this one:
I liked it because it was wood (easily paintable and sandable) and it had a cute pattern.
It also didn't have any glass which saved me a step.
It only cost around $2. (I wouldn't pay more than $1-3 for something like this).

Then I drug my little family for a Saturday outing to Home Depot so I could pick up some:
galvanized sheet metal (found in the duct supplies aisle--there were about three different sizes)
a pack of strong magnets (I had to search for these but I finally found them next to picture hanging stuff.)
and some spray paint...
Since my kitchen decor is done in red, black, and white, I decided to go with a glossy black:
Notice I am not using a fancy spray paint--this can cost me 99 cents!
If this were a piece of furniture, I would use a nicer brand. =)

While that was drying, I traced around the fabulous flower painting onto the sheet metal so I could cut it out.
I then cut it out with my regular ol' scissors which I DO NOT recommend--
it was really hard to cut out and probably not the safest way to do it.
I know there are special shears you can buy that is made to cut stuff like this--I will be buying some soon!
 So now that I got it all cut out, I made my cute little magnets.
I just bought a pack of cute buttons at Michael's.
It cost about $4.
I chose some red buttons and glued them onto the strong magnets.
So, cute, right?
And SO easy peasy!
Now I am ready to sand my frame and rough it up a bit:
Then I put the sheet metal into the frame.
There were already nails in the frame that held the flower painting in, so I just slipped it in those.
Then I added a couple nails of my own to hold it in place.
Then I flipped it over...
and it's done!
Here's it hanging in my kitchen:
I hope you like it!
I love how simple and easy it was!

--Clarissa

Linking to:

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I absolutely love it! I am going to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the name of your blog - I make this dish all the time! My kids love it. I toss in a tiny pinch of a seasoning that goes with whatever we are having for dinner (cumin with Mexican, oregano with Italian, ginger with Asian) sometimes just to keep them on their toes!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments totally make our day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...