Pages

Sunday, December 5, 2010

cute snowman blocks

I had some leftover wood blocks from another project, so I decided to make a snowman.
I was inspired by this blog post. 
I customized it a bit so it would work with these wood blocks:
(I bought a large wood post at Home Depot and had them cut it down into these blocks for me).
First, I painted them a thin coat of white so the wood grain would still show:
 
Then I sanded down the edges really well to rough them up.
I mixed up a little bowl of brown paint and water to make a sort-of glaze.
It was about two parts water to one part paint.

I then painted it on and then wiped it right off with an old rag.
Pay extra attention to the edges so they get a really good antiqued look.

For the eyes, I used carpet tack nails.
They are black and look really rustic, bought at Home Depot.
I just hammered them right in.
I hot-glued on three buttons on the middle block:

For the nose I picked up this small pack of little pickets from Michael's.
 
I cut it down a bit so it wasn't so long:
 
I painted it orange, roughed it up, then glazed it with my brown paint/water mixture.
I hot glued it on.
I tied on a "scarf"--just a spare piece of fabric lying around and hot-glued on some letter tiles.
Here is my cute snowman!


--Clarissa

Linking to:



1 comment:

  1. Clarissa - This is so adorable! Thanks so much for linking to the party - I greatly appreciate it! I featured these today - stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you have a lovely week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete

Your comments totally make our day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...